Brushless corded tools

Why are there not brushless corded tools. Is the energy savings of brushless motors not a factor with the consistant power of a cord.

Just my guess - but I think that most manufacturers are pouring their new tool development dollars more into cordless tools than corded or pneumatics.

As Fred says the focus has been on cordless, but corded brushless tools are starting to pop up.

Check this out! Full alloy body as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-WR22SE-Brushless-Impact-Wrench/dp/B01BKEZDB0

http://www.hitachi-koki.com/powertools/products/demolish/dh40mey/dh40mey.html

I think it’s because companies don’t need to.

Don’t give my cordless numbers too much credence, I just pulled them out of the air for arguments sake

In the US, with a corded tool you have 1800W (120V x 15A) of power available. Just for arguments sake lets say you can pull 30A out of a 18V pack continuously for 540W (the equivalent of a 5A corded tool).

To make a cordless tool perform respectably you need to get more efficiency out of that power, so a brushless motor starts to make sense. Whereas if you need to get more power out of a corded tool you can always go to 120V 20A or 30A or wire it for 220V.

Then there’s run time. You don’t care about run time with corded tools, with cordless tools you want to squeeze every minute you can out of the battery.

Once you see one company start putting out brushless corded tools, other companies are going to have to follow suit because they need that bullet point on their marketing info to compete.

At the other end of the spectrum - if you need more production capability you can also turn to pneumatics, hydraulics and engine-driven tools,
Pneumatic sanders come to mind as production tools that often outshine their electric motor counterparts.
Air grinders, drills, nut runners, screwdrivers also still have their place in production shops.
Pneumatic jackhammers still have no equal in heavy breaking operations - even though electrics are making some inroads.
Hydraulic concrete cutting chainsaws are also a thing to behold in some tough applications

Maybe we’re overlooking the obvious. Brushless motors run on DC. A corded tool with a brushless motor needs a rectifier to convert wall current to DC, increasing complexity and cost. Or am I missing something?

SO little bit of engineering and physics.

Brushless motors work becasue they are in essence computer chip controlled. So they push the current though the stators (or really static ring) to drive the speed of the magnetic center shaft. Broad brushing it here.

Point is - that requires DC current at the motor. So if you wanted an AC powered - Brushless motor you end up needed to somewhere in the stream swap your AC for DC. Now there ae some corded devices that do this but it adds cost and complexity. Take the newer bosch routers and jig saws for example. Conversely if the tool can lend it self to battery power - so much the better.

I think over the next 5 years you will see less and less corded power tools or you will see more cordless/corded adapter devices. As the desire for a cordless tool grows - some tools just need to stay static. you might see more EC motor contol tools over time.

Does this help

1 Like