Circular saw for sheet goods?

Yeah I saw that Milwaukee. Screaming deal! Blade on the right, but I would manage. Can’t find many reviews of it though.

I’ll wait on black/cyber though.

I thought a 6 1/2" would be a good compromise for cost and capacity (and a lot of them are blade-left) but it seems like 7 1/4" saws aren’t more expensive, really.

fred,

That’s a burly saw! Way overkill for me.

I was surprised at first that you’d need such a powerful saw for that kind of work, but I guess you might have to saw through 2x8 rafters?

Been happy with my DeWalt track saw setup; but I’ll admit I don’t deal with full sheets(so far).

By the bye, when I had a third garage bay as a work station, I hung a 12ga drop cord from overhead and plugged my corded tools into it and kept the cords out of the way. The smaller shop vac hose fit the track saw nicely; but I did have to watch for the hose “path”. Having a 12foot hose helped.

CoachRick,

Thanks for the advice! I wasn’t clear in my post, but a track saw is outside my price range.

That’s a good idea re cords. I guess the extension cord hung all the way to the ground? I’d imagine otherwise the tool cord might pull out of the extension.

The odd arbor size does make replacement blade purchases a little challenging.

1 Like

I had the cord hanging from a reel mounted above the work area…on the garage door track(door was manual and very seldom opened). The cord reel was indexed/spring loaded; so you could pull a little extra as needed. Fit in the socket was tight OR use the tie in a knot approach to securing it.
I saw the earlier posts and just chimed in with my track saw experience. I had a nice Makita circ saw that I sold when I got the Dewalt. Also “lost” my compound dual-bevel sliding miter saw and contractor table saw when we downsized to the townhouse with no third garage bay. Sadly, I haven’t had all that many wood oriented projects since moving here. A little paint, electrical, plumbing. MIGHT consider making a vanity cabinet for the powder room, since DW wants some storage in there. Shame to pull out a nice pedestal since that works perfectly…dang.

1 Like

Thanks, CoachRick. I’m sorry for your losses man.

That cord reel sounds pretty awesome.

I’ve heard some cabinetmakers say they’re moving to reskinning IKEA cabinets. Sad but true. This might even fit around your pedestal.