Help me choose a new 18-20V tool platform!

DeWalt actually offers a few screwdrivers without impact action–the drill-like 12v Max and three versions of the 8v Max gyroscopic driver. I love both (having two of the rotating 8v and one 12v), but you probably made the right choice with M12. DeWalt’s lower voltage systems seem to be lethargic at best and dead at worst.

That’s right I forgot about the gyroscopic driver.

I have the Milwaukee M12 Fuel screwdriver kit (2402-22). It drives perfectly torqued screws for all my kreg jig projects. Even with the included 2Ah battery I can build a few pieces of furniture between charges. Plus I noticed I can drive 3 inch deck screws as long as I can keep my wrist straight against the torque. That is normally a job for Impact drivers but the M12 is just so compact.

1 Like

@JonnyRock,

How are you liking that DeWalt kit so far? I have mostly DeWalt, but use my M18 Fuel circular and reciprocating saws more than their yellow brethren.

I’ve been super happy with it. I’ve been able to start a few projects but I’ve got two very small kids, so I only get to work in 2-hour chunks at best. I’ve been very happy with the circular saw, and it’s seen the most use. Primarily been ripping paneling for a board & batten project so pretty light duty. I’ve also used the driver, OMT, and light. The batteries seem to charge quickly and hold their charge well.

I ended up spending quite a bit over the holidays on new DeWalt power tools. Shortly after getting this kit, HD had the 20v jigsaw on a one-day deal. Then I even jumped on the flexvolt miter saw deal at the end of the year and picked up the non-sliding version!

I’m looking forward to a number of projects over the next year that will give me a chance to put these to use.

1 Like

DeWalt can be addicting. I have the FlexVolt table saw and sliding FlexVolt miter saw, along with two 20v miter saws and a bunch of other stuff. If you ever have a decent sized drywall project, the screwgun with collated screw attachment and the cutout tool are nice!

Glad you’re enjoying your purchase! Awesome you’ve been able to use the tools, and even expand already!

I jumped semi-unwillingly on the DeWalt batterywagon at the end of last year. The intro item was the FlexVolt compressor because I’m tired of waiting for Milwaukee’s version. I love it, haven’t had problems with it holding air as long as I turn the regulator off. I use it up in the apartment to avoid hauling the larger 6gal pancake up from the detached garage unit, it’s seen use airbrushing models, running a nailer now and then when the cordless ones are elsewhere or inconvenient, and primarily just blowing things off/out like computers, vacuum filters, tools after projects, etc. I have cats so somehow get dust and cat hair everywhere, particularly in the computer intake fan filters. At least once a week or more often now I’m using it for something, and it’s been fantastic. Cordless is such a convenience when I going from the living room HTPC to the office computer to blowing out a pleated vacuum filter just outside. Plus just using it instead of canned air, it’s so easy to haul out and is always ready, no running cords or long hoses, I put a collapsible hose on it that lives on it with a blowgun, and just carry to wherever I need it. It’s quiet comparatively, which is a plus being in an apartment, and fills and refills pretty quickly for being a tiny cordless job. Hurry up Milwaukee on yours, though honestly I’m not sure I’d switch, now that I’m bought further in to the FlexVolt stuff so the compressor isn’t a one-off battery line tool for me anymore.

The second one was the FlexVolt miter, non sliding version, same as you. I strongly debated the slider, but have never really extremely needed one in as long as I’ve been using miter saws. For the super rare case i could maybe use one, I’ll just use a circular instead, that’s always been good enough for my not-cabinetmaking work. I think it turned into I could either get the non-slider with two batteries and plug adaptor, or the slider with no batteries but with the plug adapter for the same price, and the slider with the batteries too for $100 more. The $100 wasn’t worth it for the sliding for me when realistically I’d probably rarely/never use it, not to mention the increased weight and size and potential slop introduction way down the road. And in either case I needed batteries, which I can also use with the compressor!

Why FlexVolt instead of just a plain plug in model? Plugging in a miter saw in an apartment is sketchy business, they’ve got the wiring so all over the place that I’d probably plug it in on a wall outlet only to find that it’s shared with the lights and blows that breaker. Or, most of the other plugs that aren’t in the office or bedroom are on one of the GFCI’d kitchen plug circuits for some reason, and the Ridgid and Bosch saws I’ve used before would trip the GFCI excessively often. Just easier to be able to use batteries for when I need a miter saw for a project. Even for using it out in the garage, where I can’t pull that much power or risk tripping the entire garage building if someone else opens their garage door. Then I have to have a conversation with my friends on maintenance about why I’m plugging things in in the garage, most of all high-draw power tools, in an apartment complex no less. I’ve already gotten some good use out of the FlexVolt miter saw, and for things I’d previously have just done on the circular instead of dealing with all that, so exceptionally pleased with that purchase.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the FlexVolt stuff. I liked many of DeWalt’s 20V tools, and loved some, even though I ultimately have Milwaukee as my main tool line (because of their lighting mostly), but I’ve been skeptical of FlexVolt since it’s launch. It all boils down to capacity. Yes I can get slightly more efficiency and use smaller wire by running higher voltage and lower current. But by how much? Why not just go to two series packs at that point. Or keep beefing up the tried and true and ubiquitous 18V platform even more, I can find some 4 gauge cable suppliers somewhere for the power… Milwaukee packs the same capacity into their 9Ah packs, so meh. Using two of them instead of one seems to be the main difference, for the miter at least. I tried the Milwaukee 10” miter after it came out, and it was probably the first Milwaukee tool I had second thoughts about wanting after trying it. Even with the 9Ah packs, there were some cuts that it wasn’t as buttery as i had expected, though at the time I chalked it up to being a “new technology for Milwaukee” cordless miter saw. It still blew any of the ryobi cordless miter saws out of the water. The FlexVolt when I tried it hurriedly before jumping on the deal, didn’t show the same issues, likely because it has double the power capacity of the Milwaukee, if you use 5Ah/6Ahx2 and 9Ah/9Ahx2 as comparison. Being based on DeWalt’s tried and true miter saw know-how, coupled with my better-than-expected compressor experience, it was an easy decision. Since getting it, I’ve been continually impressed with it, and put it up right with dewalt’s corded saws, and even my personal favorite Bosch saws. I’m still debating getting the 7.5” Milwaukee miter one day (if it goes on a really really good deal now that I have the FlexVolt one) for portability, or to fit with a non-ferrous metal blade so I can cut aluminum on something other than the “good” saw. I love the Milwaukee circular and sawzall and their drills and everything else I have, so still wouldn’t even consider giving up my main 18V line to DeWalt, but taking FlexVolt as a separate line with separate tools, they’re beating Milwaukee on the miter, and beat them to market at least with the compressor. I can’t really see Milwaukee coming out with anything that would knock the socks off the FlexVolt compressor either. Chalk me up for battery line number 7.

1 Like

Well done!
Your really can’t go wrong with any brand. Pick the color you want to look for in the grass when you drop it is my philosophy. It sounds like you’re on the path to continue to find excuses to buy new tools. In 5 years you’ll probably have several battery platforms and a tool for everything. You may want to start deciding what kind of tool storage you’ll be collecting. TSTAK, L-BOXX, Tanos… Or you might even end up with $everal different ones just like your tool collection. I’m speaking from experience here, lol.

1 Like

Whether you go Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange, Teal, they are all competitive and all have the basic cordless tools a professional or DIY’er would need. I went Blue because of the german reputation of making reliable tools that last and so far after 3 years all are still working as good as new. Good luck with what you end up deciding.

1 Like