I bought one titanium hammer in Canadian Tire at CAD199.99. Am I insane?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-titanium-hammer-16-oz-0574042p.html
Looked at the Stiletto TBII first, however, found it is casted, and was told the claw breaks easily. So I went to the Maximum, which is said to be forged, and the only forged Titanium hammer in the market. Works fine so far, and I hope it could last FOREVER!!! CAD 199 should last that long.

That’s a sick hammer for sure!!! I’ve often looked at getting a titanium hammer, used a couple and wow they are nice, but I just can’t stomach the $$$ for one. Seems like I buy a new hammer about once a year and spend around $30 US each, mainly because I lose em or just give em away. I’ll bet none of my hammers have drove more than 1000 nails in their life(under my ownership) because 99% of the nails I drive are from a gun. I use mine mostly for banging studs in place, demo, prying, and pulling. If I nailed 200 times more often I’d easily justify the cost of titanium.

None the less that hammer looks badass and I hope you enjoy it!

Personally I think the TI ally hammer’s are overkill - but I like the basic idea. It’s probably a good enough product so I’m sure it will work good for you. I had/have high hopes for that new AL frame estwing hammer.

IE - I’d like to see a lighter framed widget with concentrated weights where it makes sense - lighter over all - with proper steel striking faces. Why steel - well TI and it’s alloy’s don’t normally take abrasion well and thus more susceptible to wear out.

AL of course can’t work - and yes there are ferric IT alloys but I’d rather they just used a plain tool steel and make it removable if need be.

TL:DR version - no I don’t think you are insane but I am waiting for a better overall design

Yep. I could imagine a hammer with a steel head but aluminum handle. Or maybe just a steel striking face. it could have tungsten weights right at the head, or even just tungsten powder for an anti-bounce effect.

I’m a bit surprised that no one (at least that I know of) has used tungsten for much of anything in tools beyond bucking bars.

I’m not sure how a tungsten hammer head would work out or if tungsten shot’s increased density would improve a deadblow hammer’s performance enough beyond what you get from steel shot to justify the added cost.

For less common hammer-metals there are zinc hammers - but zinc’s density is closer to steel - nothing like that of tungsten.

https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Zinc-Hammer-4lbs-handle/dp/B00F16W1PA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1496747956&sr=8-4&keywords=zinc+hammer

For an A-Z listing of some hammers (Aluminum to Zinc) - there is another post on this site:

I guess the answer is no, it doesn’t usually justify the added cost, otherwise people would have done it. If you need a heavier hammer, just make it bigger.

The advantage of tungsten is not so much weight, but density. You can make very small, heavy things out of it. I guess that’s an advantage for bucking bars, but not so much for hammers.

Would people need a small but very heavy hammer? If so, then tungsten might have a role there.

Tungsten is also extremely refractory for a metal. That might make it useful for tools in high-heat situations, if you didn’t mind the tools being really heavy.

I’ll wait on an Osmium or Iridium (or how about depleted uranium) hammer if I need a hammer with a high-density head (my pocketbook cleaned out and My Head examined too LOL).
More seriously - when I was buying hammers for my crews - something in the $50 to $60 range (some of the guys asked for Dalluge or Douglas) was my limit. If someone asked for a Titanium hammer - they would have my blessing not my money. We used nail guns mostly for repetitive nailing - not hammers - so I was not persuaded that the purported advantages of titanium hammers reducing repetitive motion injuries was applicable for our situation.
I probably bought more Estwings than any other brand.

Yes, I don’t know if I buy those advantages either. If a lighter hammer is so great, why don’t they just make a lighter hammer out of steel?

Tungsten is less dense than osmium or iridium, but is much, much cheaper, of course. It approaches double the density of lead! So for a hand tool, they wouldn’t need to use much tungsten. I bet the tool wouldn’t be ridiculously expensive. I guess there just isn’t a need for it.

Estwings with the plastic grips are great. I found a few at a used tool store covered with a rubbery gunk, like flooring adhesive. Gave them a go with a RO sander, and they are good as new.

I owned this hammer for 3 years now and I have also used the stiletto hammer, this hammer is much better and it’s very useful!

Surprising price, I bought a similar one for $70USD last time