Mechanic's tools

I do have slot of SAE sizes we have quite a bit of equipment from 70s and 80s that are all SAE and some stuff for 90s and 2010s that are metric body’s and SAE engine-transmission. Another thing for SAE wrenches is while most everything is metric now, add-on things like drop-axles on dumptrucks are SAE For the +19mm could probably just go with SAE set with a 13/16 being equal to 20mm , 7/8-22mm, 15/16-24mm, and 1"-25mm. I’ve found after 18mm there is a SAE metric equivalent to most common sizes.I put separate list down because if you’re have a tool roll or other device for carrying wrenches and you’ve grab metric it’s a pain to get back down and get a 15/16 when u needed a 24mm of course it’s the same pain in the ass if you didn’t know to begin with so I guess I’m up in the air on it

Indeed. I know a few guys that live by the “world is SAE” and have like 4 metric sockets for the things between like 10 mm etc. Then have most of the conversions in their head.

I am a fan of having both if for no other reason than for most devices they are one or the other - or that you have multiples of some size equivalents.

In airplane world it’s easy everything is SAE most is 12 point and very little is heavy high torque.

I think I have pretty good idea now. I will be adding picks, locking pliers, 3/8 impact, 1/2 6 point shallow well metric sockets and storage. I’ll also recommend the swivel sockets but not require them to have it.

Thank you all for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

so I asked a few guys I know that shadetree for money. and 2 of 5 said if they were doing it over they wouldn’t bother with shallow sockets. I was a little shocked at first - but I was helping with a head/cam work on a dodge hemi (6.1) with a guy yesterday and true to statement every time I saw a socket in his hand it was a metric 6 point deep. all the time. 8mm deep, 12mm - deep, etc.

So might ease some of their purchase needs - maybe ask your crew.

Their idea was - 1/2 the time aorund a car you might need an extension - deep socket helps there - and some times you need a deep too. so might as well have quality deeps for all jobs - if oyu end up getting shorts then use them but when they pack a go back - they just take deeps.

I never thought of it that way - as I almost always use shallows. but a quality deep socket does have good engagement too