Ryobi 18V Fan Club Thread

For years I kept away from cordless tools, at first because the old battery technology was pathetic, and I would rather fumble with cords and even a generator if necessary. But lithium ion battery technology revolutionized the market. These were impressive, powerful tools, but I could not fork out that much cash. So I continued to fumble with cords…

Until I came across the Ryobi 18V series of cordless tools. For the money, these are really difficult (nay, impossible!), to beat.

So, here is the [un]official ToolTalk Ryobi 18V Fan Club Thread! :smile:

I’ll get things rollin’:

• djb
1 Like

Hahaha I just watched that video this morning!

I’ve been kicking around the idea of supplementing my Yellow tools with Ryobi for a little while now, there are alot of tools that are either unavailable or would be hard the justify the Yellow price tag for. I’m still going the think about it but there are a ton of compelling reason to join the fan club.

I’m tempted as well. Ryobi has a large selection of tools that DeWalt simply doesn’t offer. Besides that, their tools usually cost no more than 1/3 of what premium brands sell for. When my Porter Cable 18v batteries die, I’ll probably look to Ryobi to replace my cordless inflator: https://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/products/details/18v-one-plus-dual-function-inflator-deflator

The PC version includes a cord to enable it to plug into a cigarette lighter, which the Ryobi seems to be lacking, but otherwise they appear similar in function. That little inflator is great to inflate a bike tire, top off the truck tires, or inflate an air mattress (though my DeWalt compact blower is the go-to nowadays).

I’ve stood by and watched Ryobi go from clunky–if useable–blue tools with Ni-Cad batteries to streamlined, modern-looking green tools that can sometimes compete with premium brands. While stemmed batteries are being phased out by nearly everyone else, Ryobi’s decision to continue the One+ platform is a major plus as well. A person can pick up a holiday combo and a couple of extra Li-Ion batteries for a couple hundred dollars around Christmas and use any number of tools picked up for cheap either new or at any number of yard sales and flea markets.

I love my ryobi tools. I have several at this point. So hooked on them I have modified a few other brands tools to take the ryobi batteries. The only unmodified batt tool from another brand is my recent dewalt framing nailer I just couldnt figure out how to bypass the electronics on it so I had no choice. Ryobi isnt as refined as Milwaukee or makita but they hold up well and the LI batteries do a great job. No regrets

I mostly agree but, its kinda the stem part that i dislike, makes the tool feel bigger than it needs to be. As a supplement though there are quite a few tools they offer that aren’t battery in the grip.

The 6 piece kit is down to $199 again (from $299). Not Ryobi’s latest/strongest tools but incredible value.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Ultimate-Combo-Kit-6-Tool-P884/203466936

I’m a Milwaukee fan, but I’m not hijacking this thread. Just a question. I’m a masonry contractor and I don’t treat my tools well. Not that I don’t try to take care of them but when I use them I dont baby them. Does ryobi stand up to the wear and tear of that kind of usage or are they more for the homeowner?

I have a question. I have a couple HP+ batteries. I know they are designed for brushless tools but is there any harm in running HP+ on the older brushed tools (Not Blue Old). Thanks.

No problem at all, Ryobi has made it a point to be 100% compatible across all their 18v tools and batteries. You could technically use old NiCad batteries on the newest tools as well.

I started with Craftsman 19.2 tools in NiCad days “75th anniversary set” that later became C3. They were made by Ryobi or whoever they were back then and Ryobi didn’t have a line that I was aware of. They figured that out pretty quickly though. The C3 line was dominant and got all the new types of tools until Craftsman along with Sears began to slowly die. Around 2011 was a transition year and soon the old blue Ryobi’s became the lime green of today and Ryobi has shaken off the C3 stigma and rules.

As one person noted, I supplement my yellow equipment and old C3 stuff (until the final battery dies) with Ryobi tools. In particular is their outdoor tools. I have blowers trimmers and now a misting fan is in my future for camping. They are a great resource for the DIYer and even as a back up. I just got a clearanced trimmer “set” as I needed a light trimmer for the garden instead of the four cycle monster that does not discriminate or allow me to in tight spaces. The set came with a 2.0 AH batt/charger AND a drill driver and an impact wrench. Quite a mix imho likely targeting the new homeowner…for 75 bucks. And so, the impact wrench is my back up for my yellow/black one professional level…or if I get a friend to help on a project…

I love Ryobi One+.