Surface for outdoor workbench

Hi Everyone,

A few years ago I reorganized by shop and put an old workbench outside. The thought was to use it for a while, and then when it fell apart, just get rid of it. It had an OSB top, so I figured it wasn’t going to last long.

Well, it actually survived a half dozen Northern California summers and winters - snow and freezing temperatures, and then in the 100’s for a chunk of Summer. I did slap a coat of paint on the top once a year, but it finally gave up the coast. Since I’ve found the bench is great for all manner of things, I’ve decided to fix the base and put a new top on it.

I use it for woodworking, painting and just general piling upon. My first thought was just just get some 3/4 ACX, prime and paint both sides, and maybe put on some edge trim with epoxy and nails and paint that. But I’m open to ideas? Any thoughts? TIA!

Kurt

It sounds like a good plan - especially since the OSB seemed to last. Even though ACX - exterior plywood is supposedly rated to deal with weather - treating the edges to prevent any water infiltration and ply delamination is probably a good idea.
For my place on Sanibel - I made a potting bench for my wife out of Ipe with a zinc (15ga.) countertop and sink - instead of the less expensive granite we have on the other outdoor island. She likes it’s patina and clean-ability - but it added quite a bit to the cost. It sees a lot of rain - but obviously no snow or deep freezes.

I ended up using plywood for the top and banding it with wood edging, glued and nailed. I think it

came out pretty good.