What tools are you getting this season?

My bad, it was for the tool only. I just got the cut-off tool with two batteries, and I confused the two.

What other drill/drivers have bind-up protection right now? I think I’ve heard of one or two, and I didn’t take notice of the brands.

I haven’t been paying too close attention to which drills have bind-up protection since I’m not in the market for a drill right now. I know that Dewalt has had “E-clutch” for the last few of their top-end drills. 996, 998, and 999 if I recall correctly. FLEX has it in their 1/2in “Turbo” drill, Milwaukee has had “Autostop” on their drills since 2019 I think, #2903, 2904, 2905, 2906 all have it. Because of that I assumed it was a fairly standard feature for the higher end drills these days but I haven’t checked Makita, Metabo, etc. There are many digital features on modern tools that seem gimmicky to me but bind-up protection, E-clutch, Autostop–whatever you want to call it–is a huge safety improvement that doesn’t get in the way of the normal use of the tool.

1 Like

I just grabbed the DuBois 51035 Adjustable Flip Stop. What grabbed my attention is the. ability to be used with a sacrificial fence- in addition to being used against a fence- along with it being adjustable for different height fences.

1 Like

@Mike_McFalls,

That stop is a clever design. But I guess I’m ignorant. I don’t know why it’s useful to have adjustable height. Can you explain? I did read an article about a RIP fence that doesn’t touch the TS table so it can ride against straightedges or templates.

Thanks!

Hi Koko

The adjustability allows for use on different height fences. Often times a router fence is higher than a table saw, drill press or miter station fence. So this single stop could be moved between your tools- if desired.

for some- the simplicity of the design is eliminating whether the stop will work on custom fence setups.

Also- on a table saw, particularly those with cross cut sleds or sliding tables- having adjustability on the stop supports the different configurations for these different temp setups.

For others- the most practical need for the adjustability is during use of a temporary sacrificial fence for cut support such as when cutting dados with a miter saw. The height of the temporary fence changes with the height of the piece you’re cutting. This often makes using a single height stop not feasible as it won’t have the depth to accommodate the thickness of the temporary fence and also accommodate height of the workpiece.

For me I plan replacing the stop on my job site cross cut station which has an unusually short 1” high fence (the dashboard pws F2 fence) and then I can also use it with my festool csc sys 50 which has a taller fence.

1 Like

@Mike_McFalls

Thanks, that makes sense!

I just grabbed the Festool 500312 CT Wings Extra Hand. I had a few dollars left on an Amazon gift card and ordered it through my favorite US Festool Dealer- Hartville Hardware.it might be finicky- but I plan to use it on an upcoming crown and chair rail job I have.

1 Like

The only thing I see in the near future is a second filter for the dc

1 Like