Ballast Interference

I recently replaced an “old” magnetic ballast in one of my eight four foot double bulb fluorescent light fixtures with a new digital ballast which allowed me to use the T8 bulbs. Alas, when I did this I discovered that the digital ballast caused much more static interference to my radio reception. Prior to this change, the interference was quite low but now I can’t use the radio when that light is on. Any fixes for this? I’m using a rather ancient Panasonic radio/cassette player which works just fine for me. It’s the ballast that’s the problem. Or do the newer radios not have this problem? Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

1 Like

If it is radiating the EMI (noise) - you might try adding an external ground on the fixture to see if that helps. You can use a length of braided copper wire with a crimp-on connector, and a short sheet metal to attach it to the fixture. Be sure to scrape off a spot of paint on the fixture in a convenient spot - to make good contact under the screw head. You can then run the other end of the wire to a good ground.

It is just as likely that the ballast is also injecting noise into the line. You might try plugging the radio into an emi filter - I see some on Amazon - but not sure if any of them really work

Or you might try both ideas

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the quick reply. I might even have some braided wire laying around. Would the tracks for an overhead garage door work as the other end of the ground? I’ve heard of the EMI filters but, like you am rather suspicious. Thanks again.

1 Like

The proverbial “cold water pipe ground” may be better than the door tracks - but maybe just try the idea out before you get crazy with a permanent installation. You could install a pigtail with a male plug on the fixture, use an extension cord as the intermediate conductor and then mate up the male end to your house’s grounding rod.

1 Like

Will let you know how that works.

1 Like