Corded Recip from Pawn shop?

For some home demo, I’m thinking a used corded recip from a local pawn shop might be a valid option for a good unit with lots of life but without the new-car cost. While I appreciate a high-end pro saw, my needs won’t justify that - unless it’s a killer deal.

Any advice on what to look for? What to avoid? Appropriate cost for a recommended saw?

I would probably go up to $100 for a 15 amp Milwaukee in good condition. Bosch and Dewalt would be up there too. Other brands maybe $50 depending on condition. Many people have moved on to cordless, so there isn’t much demand for the corded saws on the used market.

Another option is harbor freight. I’ve yet to buy a power tool there, but if this is a limited use job, it’s probably fine. In all likelihood it will be solid. But I wouldn’t spend more than $50 there.

1 Like

similar I would start with 1/2 of whatever a new in box saw would cost or maybe less. I don’t know I bought a CPO outlet reconditioned model and I think it was 130 or such - biggest milwaukee job they made at the time.

Corded. I didn’t see a need to move to a cordless one.

to that end - look for broken plastic around the metal gear box - replaced or patched cord - and make sure it comes with the foot. some like my milwaukee model have a adjustable/removable foot (sole plate - whatever it’s called) so without that the saw is partially useless. IE it comes in hand with demo work - as you can ride the wall it and it makes a cleaner cut. etc.

Pawn shop I would probably start lowball. Otherwise - look for a reconditioned one.

1 Like

I agree with what everyone else said. And I know this isn’t what you asked, but for me, a recip saw for somewhat extensive demo work is the number one tool I would want to have cordless for so that I could shut off all the electric in the house and cut without having to constantly relocate the outlet/fear that I might inadvertently cut a hot wire.

There’s an M18 Fuel Sawzall with free M18 5.0 Ah battery promo for $199. IMO, best cordless recip out there right now. A little pricey, but the free 5.0 takes a bit of the sting out.

If you’re already bought into a battery system, just go with whatever they offer – even the most basic recip saws can handle most home demo work.

3 Likes