Cordless planer storage

Hi,
I’m looking for ideas on how to store my new dewalt cordless planner in a Toughsystem box. Can anyone share how they are storing theirs?

Thanks!
Ed

I have that planer. I don’t take it traveling with me but I was concerned about how to store it without damaging the sole or the blades. I ended up making a “base” that it fits inside from some leftover plywood. It’s basically a shallow box that is form-fitted to fit the planer closely so I can put the planer down inside that without worrying anything banging around against my workbenches or shelves, most of which are steel. It can’t easily be knocked off the base thanks to the lip. Perhaps make something like that out of wood or closed-cell foam and then attach it inside the box so there is a dedicated spot to put the planer and it can’t fall out or move around once the lid is closed. If you’re using a deeper box so that the lid couldn’t be relied upon to keep the planer from moving out of its holder then maybe some kind of rubber strap, velcro, or similar could be used to hold it in place.
I use a Toughsystem organizer for my router bits & accessories. I made the organizational parts out of closed-cell foam and used 3M VHB tape to stick it in place and that has worked great so I’m sure the same idea could be used for the planer.

1 Like

I know some woodworkers take great care with their hand wood planes. I am assuming your Dewalt is for a variety of jobs, but not fine wood working, where it needs care like a fine hand plane. I have a Ryobi cordless and just put it in a drawer.

To carry as part of a Dewalt Tough System, have you tried or thought of one of these?
Dewalt Expands the ToughSystem with a Compact Deep Tool Box (toolguyd.com)

If it does not fit, or you want it to be more secure, then using this in a TS box.
ToughSystem® 2.0 Deep Foam Insert | DEWALT

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys.

The planer has an odd shape so it wouldn’t fit in a small Toughsystem box. I ended up getting the compact deep box to store it in. It sits on the box at a angle so that the shoe and blades are not touching the box. HD had the boxes on closeout for $32, so I got the last two.

I’m trying to keep this planer in nice shape for finish work. I have an old corded model I use for rough carpentry. We’ll see if I can resist using the cordless for everything!

Ed