Craftsman did something nice

The tool library where I volunteer just got a large (like $20K large) donation of tools from Craftsman. Lots of basic cordless, but also some OPE and stationary tools. Apparently they’re doing that to a handful of tool libraries around the nation. I guess they’re trying to spread brand awareness, let people try them out, and maybe build some goodwill in the community. I know they want profit like any other commercial organization, but hey, a good deed is a good deed! I thought people might enjoy hearing about it.

1 Like

This is a great story and times well with the holiday season!

1 Like

Hopefully those tools are taken care of, with proper accountability, and they hold up well. I can see this being a win-win for everyone, with the Tool Library having some new and decent tools to loan out and SBD’s Craftsman division getting a hefty tax write off as well as some community outreach that may lead to sales.

1 Like

“Hopefully those tools are taken care of…” Yeah well. Not always! lol

The worst seem to be chainsaws. We’ve had some returned to us clogged with dirt, with chains removed and remounted backwards, etc.

If I understand corporate tax law (and I don’t), Craftsman would get a tax writeoff on PROFITS, and if they don’t have profits, they don’t get a writeoff. Is Craftsman making a profit yet? I don’t know. I figured it was more of a marketing thing for them, since they’re back from the dead. Already we’ve had people say, “Oh, I thought they were out of business!” And we haven’t gotten any donations from Milwaukee or DeWalt, which I’m sure could both use a tax writeoff.

2 Likes

That’s great news. They might not be the best tools but it’s certainly a win for the tool library & its users.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. This is my first time hearing of tool libraries. I had imagined a tool library as something I could start upon retirement; I am very happy to know they already exist in the wild.

Good on Craftsman for furthering the cause, even if it’s a byproduct of a marketing strategy. May the tool libraries prosper!

1 Like

Yeah, tool libraries are pretty great. Ours charges an annual fee, but you can come out ahead by borrowing just one tool. And we give free memberships to some number of low-income people.

And we get some tools donated that I’ve never seen before, like a circular saw with zero clearance on one side. The blade is dished so the attachment bolt doesn’t get in the way. Or a box of flat head, square neck “plow” bolts. Ever seen those? :-o

1 Like

Sounds like that might be a “toe kick saw” for doing trim.

Plow bolts are not fun. One common use for them is to bolt replaceable cutting edges on the buckets or blades of heavy equipment. The head of the bolt fits flush with the inside of the bucket or the dozer blade so the machine can dig dirt smoothly. But, over time as the steel wears, the top of the bolt head ends up being worn flush with the cutting edge. When eventually the cutting edge needs to be flipped over or replaced and the worn bolts are removed they now have a razor-sharp lip all around the top of the head, this will easily slice through leather work gloves.

I can see how plow bolts would develop a sharp edge. I also wonder if they can loosen and then bend under load, and then become impossible to remove.

I bet more than a few of us could start our own tool library. Anyone here from North Jersey? :blush:

1 Like

There’s one in Camden County but not north Jersey (I assume you mean New Jersey). Hope you get one going. If you like, I can put you in touch with the people who started the Denver one. Maybe they’ll have some tips for you.