Dewalt 20 V Cordless Weed Eater

I have had my weed eater since may and i need new string. I tried to turn the head but it is locked in place not allowing me to wind up the string. Any suggestions

There should be a way to take the bottom of the head out of the top, IE it comes apart. Check the manual it might be as simple as 2 press tabs. I don’t own one like yours but I know they all come apart is some fashion. your string might be bound up inside - which is also binding the head. My old weed wacker would do this when the string was about to run out and it would just tangle. became a pain.

Good luck.

I don’t know your specific model - but doesn’t it allow you to get access to the spool on which the line is wound. On many (if not most) string trimmers the spool is housed in a the trimming head - and the access cover is often clipped in via 2 push-in tabs - 180 degrees apart.
The Dewalt may lock the head in place via 2 prominences that need to be twisted aligned in a slot to be able to pull the access cover off. If you cant seem to twist the cover either clockwise or counterclockwise - you may have dirt or debris clogging the slot. Perhaps some tapping or immersion of the head into as pail of warm water will help.

I see this video for the 40V model

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Ef4sXdupHqu-ggf28YyACQ&q=removing+dewalt+grass+trimmer+head&oq=removing+dewalt+grass+trimmer+head&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30l2.991.14734..15180...1.0..0.360.3020.31j3j0j1…2…0…1…gws-wiz…0…0i131j0j0i13j0i13i30j0i22i30j0i333j33i160j33i299.nrTCuNhltpI#kpvalbx=1&spf=1563229853095

Push in on the head and rotate it counter clockwise. This will remove the spool and you can then replace the string. I’ve had mine for 3.5 years and haven’t had an issue, though I love the Ego with self-winding technology I picked up a couple of months ago.