Engineering books

Any good books on Plumbing/Mechanical Electrical Engineering structural Engineering?

There are many. Do you want to learn Mechanical Engineering or just some repair? When you say plumbing do you mean Fluid Dynamics or plumbing repair.

When I was at M.I.T. we use quite a few books and I only kept a few.

Electrial engineering - similar issue. DO you want Electrical power transmission and generation, or circuit design, logic and digital design, or RF systems. Different branches under the umbrella.

Mechanical - Mechanical design like transmissions, and power transfer, or internal combustion engine design, or Fluid systems (hydraulics etc).

A few states seem to have seen fit to grant me a Professional Engineer’s License - but I probably used my business education over the years more than what I got from 3 engineering degrees earned back in the 1960’s and early 1970’s. Napalm makes good point that the branches of engineering you mention - can get rather specialized - and university textbooks may be focused on principles that may be outside your interest. Many years ago - there were a series of practical texts from Wiley in their Audel series - that were directed more at the practical side of engineering technologies.

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-407629.html

Then you may want to look at a subject in greater depth - say in electrical engineering if you need to understand how an unbalanced 3-phase power system is behaving or need to be controlled - you might take up a text on symmetrical components or relay protection.

When you said plumbing - as Napalm also alluded - the engineering aspect is probably more practically aligned to good plumbing design - hydraulics, fluid flow and material science - and you probably will not have to get too deep into fluid dynamics - Navier-Stokes equations etc.

I got to looking at a few of my books and Wiley published a few of them. Shigley and Mische Mechanical engineering design is a great reference.

I let someone borrow my Energy Systems Design (steam piping, hydraulics, basic turbo machinery) so I don’t know who or what publisher that was. but I’m sure there are others.

Internal Combustion Engines - Pulkrabek is the writer on that. Good read but it’s all about engine design theory not mechanics design of the cam, crank, and other stuff - that’s a different book. This one if flow design, piston head squish and swirl, injector placement, etc etc. Good book too.

Electrical - I don’t have that book either but it was generic electrical engineering that we took for ME. The EE guys used that book for their first 2 classes - we used it for just one. broad range. I had another book for controls and logic - I’d pick out one of those to use as that’s good info.

Something you could do check with one of the larger colleges in your area. IE say you’re in AL, then check out what Auburn uses for their classes. Any larger accredited university will have books that are a solid foundation.

There are a decent amount of FE and PE prep books that I would suggest looking into. My FE (Fundamental’s of Engineering) exam provided a crib book (cheat book, equation book, whatever you’d like to call it) that had most of the equations I needed during my 4 years while getting my civil engineering degree with a specialization in structural engineering. I also have the lindeburg FE review manual which was a big help and would have been a great resource during my years if I had known about it. the FE has a general exam and a specialized exam depending upon your field. I also picked up the structural engineering reference manual which has a ton of examples of problems with solutions for practicing for the PE.

Though Mechanical, Electrical and Structural are all alone fairly broad fields. It’s possible to get a basic understanding of all, but know that you will likely not be able to hold a working understanding of all these fields, even not being specialized in a single field would be very hard. I had a boss who did geotech, structural and civil engineering (note, universities treat these all as civil engineering) but he was only able to do this for more simple projects such as residential homes. If you go into this, know that you would still be best off working with a specialized engineer in the field, but having enough knowledge to hold a discussion is also nice.