Frankenstein a Dewalt?

Howdy. I’m fully into the Dewalt 20V family. I really want the 5-in-1 driver simply for the offset head. (total want not a need) It is only available in the 12V system. I have tried looking at the drawings and I “THINK” it will work if I remove the transmission and head from the 12V DCD703F1 and install it on the 20V DCD708B instead?

Any thoughts? I know warranty will be out the window.

I have no idea if it can work and it would be cool if it did. That said I offer you these contemplations:

1. can you source just the offset head attachment you seek without buying the whole kit? And what’s the cost?
  2. Do you need any other parts to make this work? And at what cost?
  3. What are you going to do for a chuckless drill if you Frankenstein this? And at what cost?
  4. What will you do with the old chuck- trash it? Store it to collect dust?

#3 may not be an issue as you might have another drill/driver.

All that said- is the time and cost involved that much cheaper than just getting the 12v tool? It could be and if you don’t have any other 12v Dewalt then you’re looking at having to buy the entire kit anyway. Plus another charger and battery platform.

Anyway- please try it and let know know how it goes because that’s a cool idea! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh the irony here. I was just about to type a reply to K J over in the topic about the 18V Flexiclick driver that I would be very interested in a Dewalt 20V model. I have the Milwaukee M12 installation driver, and I like it a lot, but there are some applications where I’d like more power.

There are some other possible “hosts” that might accept the transmission as well, did you look at the DCD800B?

Why not just buy the FlexiClick as a bare tool, and use adapters to connect your DeWalt batteries?

Here’s the page where Stuart discusses the FlexiClick.

I don’t mind the idea of using adapters, I have a handful of Metabo and Makita LXT tools that I run on my Dewalt 20V batteries that way, but it’s more of a last-ditch option for me.
Here I’d rather have the “Frankenewalt” for a few reasons:

1. I suspect I could make such a hybrid cheaper than the cost of the Bosch + battery adapter.
  2. I suspect it would be more powerful than the Bosch
  3. No battery adapter = more compact
  4. I don’t care for how Bosch has designed their 90 degree adapter with a permanently attached chuck. This is a dealbreaker for me. I want to be able to use the 90 degree adapter with the other attachments as well, not only the drill chuck.
  5. I prefer the ergonomics of Dewalt’s handle to Bosch.
  6. Honestly? It’s a fun project, though not something I would spend a ton of time or effort on.

Anyway, I need to visit Lowes sometime soon to get some paint to finish a project. If they have display models for any of these I’ll see if I can learn anything.

I previously wrote about my experience with the use of battery adapters here, so won’t belabor the points

For the most part, my experience has been pretty good particularly with ones I have gotten from Amazon. The ones I’ve gotten on eBay or Etsy have been downright garbage.

1 Like

I had a chance to swing by Lowe’s yesterday. They did have a DCD703 but unfortunately at my Lowe’s the Dewalt 12V display is quite a distance from the 20v one so I couldn’t do a direct side-by-side comparison. But, from from what I could tell the diameter of the transmission on the 703 did seem very similar to that on a DCD805. Unfortunately I didn’t have much time and didn’t have a chance to do any more checking while I was there.

I did browse through parts manuals online and then looked up photos of the various motor assemblies for sale using Google search-by-image. I couldn’t find any Dewalt drill, other than the 12V series, which would allow the transmissions to be direct swaps as the tooth count on the pinion gears don’t match.
For example, if you look up these part nos. on Google Images:
Dewalt N681272 matches that from a DCD703. I count 16 teeth on the pinion.
And then for comparison, NA034896 is from DCD800/805, I count 13 teeth and they appear to be larger.
Dewalt N613571 is from a DCD708. It appears to have 18 teeth.

…so I think the chance of the transmission bolting up to the housing is very high, but I couldn’t find any models where the pinion gear on the motor looked the same. However, swapping pinions on the motor using a puller and a press might be possible. It’s also possible I missed a model or one or more of the photos I was looking at were mis-labeled.

Another thought which came to mind after reading Mike_McFalls’ post about battery adapters, and recalling some testing that Torque Test Channel did: what about the possibility of just swapping out the battery connection in the handle of the tool, and running the 703 on 20V packs? Of course more power = more heat, so this might burn the tool out easily, but it might be able to handle it to some extent. A while back TTC demonstrated running 18V class tools using FLEX 24-volt packs via custom adapters and they put up impressive numbers on their dyno. I’m sure that has durability, or at the very least duty cycle consequences, but it might be possible.

Maybe stating the obvious here… If you buy the kit (it’s about $189), you’ll get a 12V battery. You’ll also get a (cheap) battery charger, but DeWalt chargers are capable of charging both their 12V and 20V batteries. That essentially keeps you down to one charger, and a family of tools all in the same battery ecosystem. Are you absolutely convinced that 20V is what you want? I have the 12V Bosch Flexiclick (different battery system, I know) and have found that it has plenty of power for the “installation driver” uses I throw at it. I’ve even used it on my deck building project for a few locations where the extra reach was critical. I suspect the DeWalt 12V has equivalent or better power, as it is newer.

Sorry about the late reply, for some reason I never noticed you had replied even though I had this topic open in my browser. There’s two reasons why I am personally interested in 20v.
The first is just to minimize battery hassles. I use fast chargers and I am not sure they will charge the 12v batteries. Furthermore, I don’t really want any extra 12v batteries floating around which would only be useful for this tool, whereas a 20v tool can share its batteries with my large selection of 20v tools.
The second is power. As I mentioned earlier in the topic I have a 12v class installation driver (Milwaukee M12), and while I like it a lot there are some times where I’d like more power.

1 Like

Enjoy the project, I wish you success! I’ve found my Dewalt fast chargers work with 12v batteries. I personally would probably just get the Bosch 18v, but I don’t have a problem having multiple battery platforms. I know for many, and it sounds like for you, having multiple battery platrform tools is something desperately avoided.