Handle for power drill

I have Milwaukee drill model 2801-20. Can any recommend a compatible handle that I can use for it. Milwaukee doesn’t make one for that specific drill

1 Like

I don’t think it is possible to put a handle on that drill. Every drill handle I have seen mounts in one of two ways: either it has a threaded stud on it which fits into a hole in the drill, or the handle has a clamp on it which fits a cylindrical section of the drill body just behind the chuck. This model has neither holes for a threaded handle or a place for a clamp-on handle to fit. Since this is a “compact” drill they probably don’t expect you to use for anything that would require a 2nd handle.

MechaMan is right, there’s no easy way to attach a second handle to that drill.

But I think it might be possible to attach a second handle, if you’re willing to go to a lot of work.

The most likely way I can see is to fabricate a bracket that attachs using the small bolts that hold the gray metal collar, probably the gearbox, to the red and black plastic body. You may need to replace bolts with longer ones. The bearing surfaces on the gearbox are tiny, so you’d want to brace the bracket to the body somehow, maybe by extending it toward the rear of the drill and making it fit tightly against the drill body, or maybe even wrapping completely around the back of the drill, or perhaps over the top, and using the bolts on that side too. You’d have to be careful to avoid blocking the ventilation holes and speed control, and regardless, you may end up obstructing the clutch adjustment somewhat.

Or you could drill and tap holes in the gearbox or plastic body. That’s really iffy, to me. That gearbox is very narrow, and curved as well. The wall might be pretty thin too. And you don’t want metal filings getting into the motor.

So maybe the thing to do instead would be to attach a threaded insert to the body somehow. You could weld it on, but I’m not a metalworker so I have no idea if that’s possible (or whether you need to solder it, braze it, etc.) Epoxy putty might work, though I don’t know how durable that would be. It might help to drive small screws into the case and let them protrude, to let the epoxy lock onto them.

But regardless, it’s hard. Personally, I wouldn’t do it.

But if the issue is controlling the drill with one hand, I’ve found it helps sometimes to grab the battery at the bottom with your off hand. The battery is way down the end of the handle, so it has better leverage. If the issue is your wrist getting sore, there are drills that have an anti-kickback feature that might reduce the strain on your wrist and arm. (I think Flex sells a few.) I have no experience with them though.

Lastly, you can sell the drill and buy one that accepts a second handle.That will cost money, but if you need that handle, you need it.

Hope that helps!

Most of the new milwaukee cordless drills have an anti kickback feature(i believe). If binding or kickback is an issue try drilling on screw mode with the torque set where it breaks just before you dont have the strength to resist it kicking back. If you just need two hands to control or steady the drill find somewhere on the body a little ways from the chuck and adjustments to put your second hand Or you can grab/steady on the battery. If wearing gloves while drilling be very careful about getting your hand near the chuck, if you do start winding up your glove, be calm and let go of trigger, then reverse direction and slowly unwind.

Thanks for the response. Maybe it does have an antikickback feature. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the other advise as well.