Hitachi's newest impact looks amazing...3 anvils? (US release!)

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/us/main-navigation/tools?category=/tools/new-products/new-cordless&title=WH18DBDL2++18V+Lithium+Ion+Brushless+Triple+Hammer+Impact+Driver

This looks like an absolute beast. IP56 rated, 1,832in-lbs of torque, 0-4,000 BPM, up to 2,900 RPM and 3 impacting anvils?

Needless to say, I hope this is the start of some more of their top-tier products released over here. Those specs are amazing.

The original DBDL model was really ahead of its time when it was released back in 2011 with its brushless motor and electronically controlled torque/speed/light settings and is still one of the better impacts on the market IMO…looks to be the same with this.

Looks like a beaut. I have often wondered why Hitachi doesn’t get more play in the cordless field. With their good rep in airless Nailers I would have thought they would be more popular.

Too late to the game, indeed is an amazing driver… Too bad, because hitachi is my favorite tool brand…

I don’t know if I’d say they’re too late. Up to this point all of their tools have been perfectly serviceable as higher end homeowner or value concious pro, their biggest fault being the shallow line up. But cranking out tools with high end pro stats could be a sign of a shift for them, even the appearance has taken on a more neutral approach vs the “Ray gun” scheme of their other stuff.

I for one, think that the big 3, maybe 4 depending on what Bosch is doing, have grown rather complacent. Flex volt obviously being its own niche. It’s just a big race of who can crank the highest numbers out of a hammer drill and impact, then make bigger batteries. I’d like to think that throwing more competition into the mix could change this from a names and numbers contest into one that actually hangs on new features. How much power do you really need to drive a screw? Drill a hole? It’s a dead end method in no time. But if someone on the outskirts like hitachi or ridgid were to say hey, let’s put a level on the back of a drill again, that’s really defining at this point, new features. (yes there was a post about this a while back and as someone that’s awful at eyeballing level or plumb this stuck out most to me)

It probably wouldn’t hurt if the first autofill on Amazon wasn’t for the hitachi massager but I digress.

Excellent response. And I wholeheartedly agree. Features will, or should anyway, start overtaking the pursuit of raw power in cordless tools.

When Bosch came out with their superb little PS21/22 and recently the PS42, many were lamenting its lacking in the specs department. Why? It is about the most compact driver around. Would be ideal for tight spots like control cabinets and appliances and general fastener removal and setting. Perfect for my new Veto MCT bag and lightweight to boot. If I need more power I will reach for my Ridgid 18v drill and impact set.

Then we see on this very blog that Ryobi and Milwaukee are offering quiet impacts with hydraulic mechanism. Power is not at the top but it fills a spot for its feature. If the manufacturers are going in the direction of adding niche features an filling certain markets then it is good thing.

1 Like