Outdoor equipment

I’m hoping for some backpack blower recommendations. I bought a corded toro blower that works as expected; however, I need something more powerful and not limited to my cord length. I’m leaning towards an Echo pb-580t but can be swayed towards something comparably priced (stihl/husq).

All recommendations are welcome!

Scottk,

I realize this a bit late, I have been using the Ego 20" mower, stringer trimmer and blower for about a year and couldn’t be happier. In fact I am now considering the Ego backpack blower based on how pleased I am with Ego as a brand.

Of course it all depends on the size our your property as to whether a battery solution is suitable for you.

I leave you with an excerpt of my Amazon review of the Makita 36v blower v Ego from earlier this year.

Let me start by stating that I am unequivocally a fan of Makita. The Makita XBU02Z marks my twenty-second Makita cordless power tool purchase. It’s an outstanding platform and I despise ‘cords’ in the 21st century. That said I will as always be objective about the pros and cons of this blower as I. compare it to the Ego 56v blower, which I also purchased earlier this year.

Let’s start with the run time. With two 5 aH batteries, on its highest setting the blower will run no more than 15 minutes. This is ~7 minutes shorter than running the Ego 56v on ‘turbo mode’ with a 5 aH battery. Also with two batteries the blower weighs in at nearly 10 pounds- approximately 1.5 pounds (as best I can judge it) heavier than the Ego. In either case you’ll be switching arms frequently and/or taking breaks from arm fatigue.

The advertised 473 cfm of air volume and max velocity of 120 mph provide ample power to move debris and leaves on patios and driveways; as well as on grass. I’ve observed no discernible difference between the Makita and Ego which offers higher volume at lower maximum velocity.

Along with the benefit of not having to deal with the oil, gas and associated maintenance of a gas blower, you won’t go deaf if you don’t (not recommended) use ear protection. Although the Ego is rated at about 2/3rds of the decibels of the Makita, I cannot say I observed the Makita as significantly louder than the Ego. In fact the Makita’s sound is more of a whirls (like a 'toy helicopters propellers) where as the Ego would never be mistaken as anything more than a blower.

Another great feature on this Makita blower is the adjustable nozzle. At 6’5" tall, most blowers I’ve used are too short. The Ego is no exception. When set to its longest length the Makita nozzle rests just off the ground where I find it most effective. It’s also worth noting the ‘trigger lock’. I didn’t think this was a feature I would find particularly useful. However after using the feature I miss it on the Ego.

The 6 available speed/volume settings also offer the most complete range of options I’ve seen on a cordless blower. While the Ego offers ‘low’, ‘high’ and ‘turbo’, the diversity of the Makita stands out in this class of tool.

Of minor annoyance is the intake for the blower. Located below the batteries, I find (especially when switch hands) that it ‘sucks up’ my clothing for a brief second. The Ego sets the intake below the handle and in front of the batteries. This design eliminates your clothing being ‘sucked up’ but I’ve found it’s occasionally traps a small leaf or twig during use; so neither design stands out.

Earlier I mentioned the weight of the blower and I’ll touch on the balance by simply saying it is perfectly balanced with the weight of the two batteries. I find the Ego to also be well balanced although I give the edge to Makita on this point.

So in conclusion, will I be returning the Makita? Absolutely not! It’s a great compliment to my other Makita tools including the (DUB182Z blower) and to my Ego blower. It however is not for those not already on the Makita platform due to cost and in comparison to the performance of its competitors. Simply put- the performance is not substantially better than the Ego. For $150 you can purchase the Ego blower with a 2 aH battery. For an additional $250 you can purchase a 5 aH Ego battery and have a blower and two batteries for approx $100 less than the full Makit kit.

All that said, for those on the Makita platform with a compliment of 3, 4 or 5 aH batteries- this might be worthy of consideration if you desire a battery powered blower with an adjustable length nozzle, lots of power and air volume!