Ratchet discussion - searching for a new ratchet

I did a bit of search and didn’t find a dedicated thread already. So I made this one.

Looking to get a new ratchet or two. Requirements - 1/4 drive and 3/8 drive. American Made. Smooth action - fine mechanism. Now I don’t so much care if it’s 80 tooth, or ___ dual pawl. Or 120 tooth etc.

I’ve looked into Proto and SK as well as Williams. I have some SK stuffs - I like them. I have Stahlwille german stuff also. In fact the 1/4 driver ratchet I’d be replacing is a Stahlwille. It has too much slop now that it’s worn. Before buying replacement parts - I think I want to just buy an american made quality ratchet.

Handle size - Not to particular I don’t need a long handle - but I’m not against a 10 inch for the 1/4 drive. I might consider a flex head provided it has solid engagement. I don’t often like flex heads and thus never bought one.

Poly handle - also don’t care.

Push button release - is a nice to have but not a hard requirement. My favorite 1/2 drive is a Quick release. I would do thing for the socket retention I would like to get my 1/4 and 3/8 in the same fashion. but the smoothest ratchet I’ve ever used up till now was not a QR style (SK 120).

SO I have an idea what I want but thought I would open up a thread to see what other like and why.

2 Likes

Wright Tool makes theirs in the US

https://www.amazon.com/Wright-Tool-Premium-Double-Wright-Ratchet/dp/B001HWCPFS/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1523131381&sr=1-2&keywords=wright+tool+3%2F8+ratchet

1 Like

I have a few US made Craftsman ratchets and they are ok but not very exciting, my wife got me a DeWalt 100ish set for Christmas though I haven’t used it more than once on a brake job but the ratchets were quite smooth and engaged very nicely. I’m not much of a garage guy at all I usually try to talk my son into the wrenching (ASE certified mechanic) and he is a big fan of Matco, but has stuff from all the tool trucks(to my dismay), his recommendation to me(and his friends) has always been Williams because they are 1/2 price SnapOn.

2 Likes

Thank you I’ll add both to the list. Leaning right now towards a williams model for the 3/8th but I sort of which I could put my hands on one first before I buy it.

1 Like

(Shrug)
Anymore, these days, I just hit the local Snap-On truck. They pretty much have anything you might want, and the warranty can’t be beat. Besides that, having used Snap-On ratchets for more than 40 years and never having the need for the warranty, is the final determinant for me.

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

After some more looking I’m now leaning towards the new SK 90 series. or 90 pro, whatever it’s called. Their new teardrop head.

Since I no longer do hangar work I will no longer pay nor consider tool truck pricing. Especially when I know for a fact the snap on is a williams or the MAC is a Proto. And I don’t have to pay that price up front.

If I go purely on I’ve never had one break thought process I’d stick with one from Autozone. Which in my 1/2 drive set that I bought in an emergency many moons ago - Its never broken and I’ve even put a cheater bar on it. It is not what I would call a quality ratchet.

1 Like

still however on the look for a 1/4 driver also. I have an SK thumbwheel that I love so I might well just get their 1/4 drive DT model.

I’d love for the 1/4 to have QR though - only because I find I am more often trading sizes in mid process with the 1/4 drives. I might consider something like that wera rotating head for the 1/4 driver. Since I current find I trade from the ratchet to the thumbwheel or a spinner handle when I use 1/4 drive.

1 Like

I got an Armstrong one awhile back from HJE that I like. Doesn’t look like they carry it anymore. I think they replaced it with the SK 90 you mentioned.

1 Like

I’m having the hardest time finding the Armstrong MAXX ratchet for sale anywhere. Incidentally I’m struck out on Proto. Williams has one that I would consider and I’ve still got the SK 90 in mind but only for the 3/8’s size. They have a DT120 device for 1/4 drive but it’s only in the short handle size. I don’t so much mind that but for the 1/4 drive I’m staring to lean towards a flex ratchet as I realized that’s what I use the most.

1 Like

Since Apex closed down Armstrong - its not surprising.

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article126068444.html

1 Like

well crap - I didn’t know that they still have an open internet page for them makes one think you can buy them.

Guess I’m getting an SK90 for the 3/8 and probably a SK DT120 for my 1/4. Thought I sort of what a QR or a flex for the 1/4 driver might get a cheapo for that.

1 Like