Socket Questions and Survey

Hello, I am a senior in high school. I take a class in engineering where I have to define a problem with everyday life and solve it. My partner and I are interested in solving a tool-related problem. Do you find issues when working with tools? More specifically, do you ever have difficulties in finding the socket size you need? If you don’t get it correct the first time, do you find it a hassle to go grab a new one from your drawer? Do you ever grab a metric sized socket when you actually needed a US standard size, or vise versa? I have a survey for those who are generous enough to take it, thank you for your time.

Clicking on your survey link - returns an error message for me

I fixed the link, It got corrupted somehow.

I took your survey but you might want to add a general comment block or another question.

For those of us that don’t have issues with sockets.

What I wanted to put down so you’d have some frame of reference. I don’t have issues with finding the right sockets - yes I might have to trial fit one or 2 - but it’s not often. Reasoning, I keep my sockets in a size shape arrangement when I put them up. smallest to largest, SAE over here, Metric over there (color coded now). And over the years I know when I work on a car just pickup the metric ones but that’s a knowledge with experience thing. Starting out many a moon ago I didn’t know that. But I did always keep my sockets arranged. That helps alot.

Took the survey… HUGE gaps in the usage, and a double instance where question 2 nullifies both 3 AND 4, but forces you to answer them anyways. This is called confirmation, or pre-detemined bias. In many academic situations, it can get you in trouble with your teachers/professors. So, be careful.

Perhaps if questions 3 and 4 were later in the survey, they could be used to establish some reasoning, and erase the bias.

For one, I don’t use drawers. So the questions themselves are irrelevant. You are locked into using sockets for Cars. I use them on Hose Clamps, and Height Locking Bolts that are on certain tools that are meant to be disassembled for portability. Plus, once I’ve found a socket to use with certain applications, I either engrave the size on the bolt it will use, or I engrave the size somewhere close to it, in case it is ever damaged and needs to be replaced. From there, it’s simple repetition. You learn which hose clamps require a 1/4", or 3/4" socket, and which ones are 8 or 10mm. And very often, when you’re feeling sluggish or forgetful, you just slip the other possibility into your pocket, knowing they’re there just in case you grabbed the wrong one.

But, the survey was quick and succinct. I’m guessing this is for an Automotive shop class, rather than a Carpentry or Machining shop class. I’d say you had a clear focus, on a direct problem, and that kind of thinking can be extremely useful when actually working with sockets. However, that thinking doesn’t work so well on Surveys, as being that direct leads the subject to a specific outcome, rather than asking them for information. If I was your teacher, I’d inform you of this, and advise you to try again, but remember that you are not surveying solely Automotive Technicians, but a much wider spectrum of Socket Users, perhaps some you’ve never heard of. So, you should either re-order your questions, or re-phrase them so you don’t null out the survey before it can gather you a result.

I will say that your questions are very much the RIGHT questions to ask regarding Sockets. However, you need to broaden the scope of the survey so it doesn’t result in a total nullification of all data. Your teachers would be happy to suggest improvements, if they’re teachers worth listening to. Keep on the path you’re on. It looks like you’re on to something, and it looks promising for you. I hope you can figure this all out and score well on the grade. And some day, after you’ve graduated, you come back to see us, and people like @fred can fill you in on a long history of great stuff you’ll love in your future career in the trades.

I’ve redone the survey, did my best to remove any bias. Let me know what you think, any and all feedback is appreciated. https://www.mysurveylab.com/pageTag/SurveyCampaign/cId/ee9b5addd34977424e015ce1f3bdc7d3e93c3adfb/

Much better! Still simple and direct, but cast a much wider net!

Well done! Again, I hope your grades on this turn out well!