Socket sets/10 pieces vs 13 pieces

Hello all, newbie to the site. I would like to ask a question regarding socket sets. I have a mixed older and newer craftsman set. I’m looking to upgrade to a full set of Gearwrench. I am noticing on the 1/4 inch drive of most sets, they don’t have a full 13 piece set, mostly 10 pieces on the SAE set. Can I do without the three missing sockets? I know snap on has a full 13 piece set, but I don’t really want to spend a ton of money on them since I’m only a backyard mechanic. I do however want a full set, because I plan on using them for the rest of my life and i want to invest in something good.

check out SK or Proto also. I guess it matters more which are missing. I think my 1/4’s stop at 12 or 11 MM - and down to 4 so that’s what 10 sockets. Then the SAE runs something like 1/2 to 3/16. and I know for a fact I have a 5/32 but it’s special needs on a airplane.

Other sets that are solid product. Duralast tools from autozone - yes i KNow - but they are still made in taiwan that I know of and they work well. So I would call that a cheaper end. I will never buy a measured device from HF so no sockets.

Up the scale maybe look at the newer craftsman sold at lowes - it might be better quality hard to say.

finally I would buy SK sockets over snap-ons without thinking twice. Cost really. Check out williams (snap on parent) and proto/MAC .

I know there are others.

I have one of the newer craftsman sets from Lowes that I picked up when it was on clearance. CMMT12008 is the model number. SAE and Metric. 9 sockets for each. I am not too thrilled with it but it only cost me about $15 on clearance. I would check out Tekton. Most of their sets are affordable and don’t skip any sizes. I have a 3/8 set that has become my go too. I think i paid about $60 for SAE and Metric with no skips, deep and shallow, 2 extensions and a 90 tooth ratchet. I’m sure they have a 1/4 set thats similar.

Another good suggestion. Tekton makes decent stuff and reasonable prices. I bought a few of their ratchets to try out - both were great quality for the money.