[Updated] Anyone tried the new ryobi garage door opener? [I have]

You’re right I dont see it in the app either. Try the lock button on the indoor keypad that’s hardwired to the motor.

So I spoke with Ryobi techs got a knowledgeable one thankfully. He walked me through the manual reset procedure (hold program for 30 seconds no indicators given that 30 seconds has hit) once I did this I was able to reprogram all remotes without an issue. After we discussed it the only thing he could come up with was that the GDO was still in a test mode from the factory which causes it to reject programmed remotes or dump them. Hope this fixes the issues.

Just thought I’d update this. So after speaking to the last tech my Ryobi worked for two days. Then the app server crashed and locked me out of the app for 12hrs… during that time my remotes operated the door no biggie right… after the app came back it forced the opener to dump my remotes. Called customer service after waiting hours I was informed I needed to unplug my GBO for five minutes which should reset my remotes to work… no luck still didn’t work. After calling customer service again and explaining what happened they told me it was a defective motherboard, and needed to be warrantied and sent back to them… that’s kind of ridiculous the unit was brand new and had been installed for less then week, on top of that I am a electrician everything worked fine until the server crashed… it’s not broken. The rep then decided to argue with me and told me they make over 100000 units of this… and some just slip through broken past there QAQC… so I asked about the complaints going back to 2016 regarding this same issue I found… no response. Needless to say I uninstalled and bought a Chamberlain 970 and have been absolutely impressed by it… out of the box remotes worked installed in two hours and tied right to my home WiFi and alarm without issue.

Curious as I have one but mine doesn’t have places to plug a battery in and have yet to get it to work on WiFi or the app. How did you get someone from ryobi on the phone?

One of the best things I did in my garage was to replace the belt based opener with a direct drive unit. No track or opener in the middle of the garage and it’s much quieter. I also re-did the tracks at the time so the door follows the roof line at a ~30degree angle so I also have more space. Of course, this required new springs but the math wasn’t all that hard and it really wasn’t as scary as I expected to work with the torsion.

Personally, I can’t understand why anyone would want their garage door opener on the internet. Seems like you’re just asking for a security problem because there is no way it’s going to be hacker-proof.

For anyone looking to disable the alarm, here’s how it’s done. I don’t recommend unless you are qualified and comfortable working on power or electronics. This will also likely void any warranty you have.
About center on the board is a round speaker. To the lower right it will be marked buz1. Use a soldering iron to unseat the two pins. Done!

1 Like

Nice fix

I know some people have claimed that the alarm is really loud, but mine is about the same volume as my old garage door, which doesn’t bother us.

If anyone is still living with the irritating beeping and flashing lights when the garage door is closing, message me and I will tell you a simple fix that will take care of both. My garage door has worked quietly ever since

Lol… I think you’re the only person besides myself that figured out how to shut that stupid thing up! I took a can of MAPP gas and heated up the tip of a screwdriver and gave it a throat lozenge! Quiet as a church mouse. I know a little bit of a violent approach but I was pretty irritated when I did it