Vampliers vs Fujiya Screw Pliers

I’ve heard nothing but glowing reviews about Fujiya pliers. However, I’ve not handled them in the metal. Considering Fujiya’s reputation, could their Screw Pliers be (even) better than Vampliers?

(I know Japan’s Engineer brand makes Vampliers.)

I have the Vampliers and like them, they do what they advertise quite well.

When I first saw the Fujiya pliers, they caught my interest; I like well made tools. I did a couple of searches and they came up in a couple of Project Farm YT tests. They didn’t fair too well, kind of middle of the road.

Since then, I am still curios about them, but less than before.

For whatever reason, that original link to Fujiya’s search for “screw pliers” doesn’t work, and my attempt to fix it didn’t work either. So here are direct links to the two screw pliers they offer:

This one has cutters, a little like small lineman’s pliers.
https://www.fujiya-kk.com/en/products/757/

This one that looks a little like traditional slip-joint pliers.

Vampliers sells about a dozen “screw extractor” pliers in various configurations, including lineman’s style. One that looks particularly interesting to me is their vise-grip style locking pliers. With regular screw extractor pliers, sometimes it’s hard to maintain a grip on a screw head while turning the pliers. Locking pliers would solve that issue. Here’s their catalog (pdf):

I’ll add that Knipex TwinGrip pliers also have the transverse teeth in the tip to grip and turn screws. They’re the slip-joint style, but far more refined (instead of just two joint positions, it has FIVE) and the teeth are hard and sharp. I love mine.

1 Like

I buy many tools before needing them, sort of “in case” scenario. While I have used the regular Vampliers on a few occasions, I saw these vise-grip style locking pliers on Amazon about 2 months ago, liked them and bought them. Threw them into my electrician bag, but have yet to use them!

Anyway, the time will come when a rusty, seized bolt will give me problems, and I am sure to give them a try…but they look good! ( the look good part was me doing like many Amazon 5 star reviews where they haven’t used it but it looks good :smirk_cat: )

1 Like