What do you want to see reviewed on ToolGuyd?

ToolGuyd, You’ll be the first to know if I get a vise at an auction. Right after I posted that I realized that what you said is pretty much right on the money, i.e., I’ve been to lots of auctions and don’t remember ever seeing a wood vise for sale. Machinist vises and anvils every once in a while but no woodworking vises.

I’ll check out the Woodriver brand with your comments in mind. Thanks again.

1 Like

Fred, Thank you too for your response. I’ll check out eBay with your suggestions in mind. I have not, until now, heard about Columbian or Wilton vises. This is a very helpful forum.

1 Like

@ToolGuyd How about cordless handheld vacuums? I’d love to get a small one for cleaning up little messes, ideally an 18v bosch, but I’d be interested in what the best models are.

3 Likes

Good luck!

We have a couple of reviews up, and more on the way.

Bosch’s 18V vac hasn’t been released in the USA, and is presently only available from importers. I thought “Bosch doesn’t make an 18V vac,” but saw some bare tools with UK model numbers on Amazon.

12V vac are suitable for small cleanup tasks, 18V ones are more powerful and typically have greater capacity.

Dewalt’s newest vac has me very optimistic:

https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-20v-max-compact-hepa-vac-dcv517/

2 Likes

Fastcap has a new level gizmo that night be worth a review:

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewprd.asp?idproduct=55686&utm_source=FastCap&utm_campaign=74d469ab27-FastCap_How-Far-Out-Level-Gauge_20160315&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8c1f8244f9-74d469ab27-412220985

1 Like

The jigsaw where I work recently died. We mainly have old, worn out Dewalt 18v cordless tools and I’ve thought about equipping the shop with “12v” compact tools. I generally prefer the Bosch 12v tools but I’d love to see a comparison of all the cordless jigsaws on the market as I think that would really influence my choice.

2 Likes

How about a review of these things?

http://www.amazon.com/Winbag-15730-Wedge-Alignment-Inflatable/dp/B00NESAU0U

There is a video from Tools in action, but I can’t bear to watch those guys bumble through their schtick.

Anybody else used them?

@ToolGuyd

1 Like

The first time (2003) I saw this sort of bag - they were from a company called Lock Technologies Inc. (LTI) - they were called Inflate-A-Wedge - cost $28.95 each and we bought 4 of them - not to get into locked cars (their intended purpose) - but for leveling and other tasks. They worked OK - especially for 1-man jobs - but I don’t recall that we bought any more.
The - about 2 years ago - I had a couple of 1-man (me) jobs (cabinetry and windows and doors) coming up at my kids houses - and I saw these - bought a set of 4 for about $75 . I found them handy for an aid in shimming and leveling - but they now sit hanging in a corner of the shop.

2 Likes

Ok, I was thinking they look just like the ones used to get into a locked car. So they are probably just the same product being reappropriated? They seem like they could be sort of helpful, but I think they miss the point of wood shims in the marketing spots that I have seem so far. You still need wood shims behind where you are screwing for window and doors. I see it more useful for lifting heavy things up to where you need them.

Thanks.

1 Like

At my daughter’s house - I used them to tweak a pre-hung door into level and plumb. One hand on the level and one hand on the squeeze bulb - then shimmed it out - screwed in into a stable position then removed the bags. Kind of handy - not having a helper - but not essential. Installing a dishwasher they were also handy in getting the machine level then adjusting the leveling legs. Not as good with the Insinkerator - by the time I would have assembled a platform to use the inflatable bag - I was on to the next chore - having used one of my Fastcap jacks. Big air lifting bags seem to be getting more and more use in heavy construction and rescue operations - I think that these are just an extension on the idea. If I were a 1 person “crew” installing appliances all day - I think these might see more use - rather that literally hanging around.

1 Like

@ToolGuyd How about a review of the new PB Swiss Insider Mini?

1 Like

Whoa, that’s new to me, thanks!

I have the technician screwdriver and like it a lot.

The Insider Mini looks to have the same form factor, and part of me likes the idea of on-board storage for more double-ended bits. but part of me is annoyed that the Insider Mini doesn’t have a cap. The cap makes for easier pocket storage.

It shows 4 blades and says the tool contains 3, which I take to mean can hold 3 in the handle.

I don’t see it available via US distributors, but will keep an eye out for it.

I will say this - I don’t think I’ve ever seen a PB Swiss tool that I didn’t like.

1 Like

I saw basic specs and a pic of a new Dewalt 20V Max mower appeared on the TIA forums.
2x 20V batteries (which was a surprise).
Assuming this hits retailers in the spring, I really want to see a review before I buy and ship one back to the UK!!!

1 Like

That mower doesn’t exactly exist, you saw a screen shot from DeWalt Insights, their survey site. It doesn’t mean they aren’t developing one but I wouldn’t get my hopes up either.

Ok, so less developed than I may have hoped but, finally, a ray of hope that a mower is at least on the road map.
I may have to coax my gas mower to last another season!

1 Like

How about the walabot. I would love to know if it really works

I just saw this featured in our local newspaper. It seems like a great price at about $200. I too am curious how well it works. Only down side ks that you need an android phone to use it.

Down side android? Nah

I’d like to see a cordless caulking gun review. I’ve seen offerings from Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt and Ryobi. In fact Makita offers three different configurations, traditional, barrel and enclosed (XGC01Z, XGC01ZB, XGC01ZC- respectively).

I am embarking on a project in the coming weeks to replace all of the baseboards and trim in my house, while adding crown moulding. I am seriously contemplating a 18v caulking gun for fear of ending up with a permanent claw from manually pumping what’s sure to be many tubes of caulk.

Of course being entirely on the Makita platform already, I am partial to one of the Makita models, however lately I find myself frustrated, paying more for the most of the Makita line of cordless tools that other manufacturers and might use this time to begin the transition.

Mike, take a look at the M12 gun. For caulk it has more than enough power and you can turn it down to get a nice thin bead. The lighter weight is also helpful if you’re working overhead. The 18v models are more appropriate for jobs where you’re squeezing out large quantities of material like PL adhesive on 4x8 sheets all day long.

I can’t compare to the other models unfortunately.