What EDC Driver bits?

Hey all,

If your EDC kit could contain 5-8 driver bits, what would you pack?

I’m using a Fix It Sticks Ratchet driver (highly recommended) but I’m struggling to whittle down the list of bits. Anyone who has seen my screwdriver drawer will appreciate the ODC I have when it comes to having complete sets.

A Philips #1 & #2 is an easy choice but then I struggle to pick a few TORX bits etc.

I’m sure a question will be what do I expect to use it for? And the answer is complicated. We’re going on a cruise over Christmas and I don’t really know what would be useful, apart from a tiny sunglasses screwdriver which is already in the kit…

Cheers

Ben

I can easily name my most commonly used tool bits:
-#2 Philips as it’s just so incredibly common
-A mid-size straight slotted bit, I don’t buy straight-slot screws outside of rare situations but there are still many of them in use.
-T25, the majority of the screws I buy for my own work use this, and it is a very common size in general.
-T27, I use Sthil outdoor power equipment and a T27 is necessary to swap guards on trimmers/brushcutters and for general cleaning & servicing of the tools
-T30 for larger construction screws
-A hex to 1/4 square adapter to allow the use of all my 1/4 drive sockets
…but you may well have different needs, for example T27 is an uncommon size. You absolutely need one if you own Stihl gear, but if you don’t it’s probably pointless. A lot of people use #2 Roberson (square) drive for woodworking or construction but it’s basically useless if you need to wrench on a car, motorcycle, bicycle, or boat.

You mentioned this is for “cruising”, so I’m going to assume a vehicle is involved? You might think about what common fasteners are on the vehicle in question. For example, most of the interior parts on my truck are secured with a #2 philips so that’s nice and easy. But my old truck used 1/4" hex head screws for all its interior panels and a lot of the plastic under the hood too, so a 1/4" nutdriver bit was a must-have if I was worried about fixing it on the side of the road.

1 Like

indeed I was about to post - take stock of the things you are around. Like fix it sticks were for bikes anyway. so if it was me and my mountain bike it wouldn’t have any torx but would have a 3, and 5 and a 6mm, the philips 1 and 2 and then I’d probalby keep a 1/4 or 3/16 slot. Or that hex to square adapter and then a few sockets. what I’m around.

If carry for work I’d trade the hexs for another slotted and due to our desks a 25 torx and a 1/4 nut driver. or such. For the cars I wouldn’t worry as I keep a kit in each car.

1 Like

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

And the cruise reference is about a big boat, in my truck I have a full toolkit, it’s 31-years old so I always have to be prepared…

Carry the bit you need to tighten the belt clip on your pocket knife. In my case it’s a T6

I might add a PosiDriv (PZ) #2 for Euro-style cabinet(cup) hinges, IKEA furniture etc.

Robertson (Square) #2 is also pretty common.

On road trips - I usually have a modest repair kit in the trunk - to handle a flat tire or obvious problem easily diagnosed and fixed with a stop at a parts store. But beyond that I’d rely on roadside assistance. Knock on wood, I’ve seldom had to do either of these things in over 60 years of road trips. My observation has been that cars have become more reliable and that the potential issues that I needed to plan for in the 1960’s no longer exist.

But for when I travel internationally - while I might carry a few tools (in my checked luggage) - they are usually limited to a small Leatherman and Swiss Army Knife. I carry extra pairs of glasses, and my wife and I each carry a smartphone. We don’t worry about the need to fix most anything else. I’ve found that a credit card will deal with most repair/replacement issues in Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.

I’ve bought and have carried one of those cheap eyeglass repair kits in a tube that they sell in supermarkets - but often when I lose a screw - none in the kit seem to fit:

It might be better to make sure that eyeglass screws are tight at home and perhaps use some thread locker or clear nail polish to keep them put.

Anyway - while the Boy Scout Motto is be prepared - my advice is to not worry about every possible contingency and go on your cruise to have a great time.

1 Like

I use replaceable Fix-it-sticks around my office, assembling/adjusting furniture and fixing random broken things. Eventually determined that the most useful bits around the facility are Phillips #2, slotted 1/8", square 1&2, hex 4,5,&6mm, and Torx 30.

In the past few months I have been carry around a set of hompower 4mm bits (found on amazon) paired with a Wiha 1/4" hex to 4mm adapter in my Leatherman ratcheting driver. I can carry 20 bits (I carry two of the cases) in my pocket with everything from Ph#2 to Torx #2 to Hex in a variety of sizes. Lightweight, compact and covers nearly every size you will find in non industrial settings (or Canada :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Funny, I just figured out the same thing! You get about 4x the number of bits compared to a 1/4" bit, which makes it a lot easier to carry a full set!

It’s a real shame there aren’t more dedicated 4mm drivers with 1/4” driver features. They’re mostly ‘precision’ and lack features like ratcheting, screw sleeves, etc.

I’ve yet to try out using 4mm bits with a drill/driver. I wouldn’t consider any applications with high torque, but I bet for apartment owners they’re more than enough (appliance fixing, flat pack assembly, etc.) when paired with a driver on lower clutch settings.