What is this torch?

I inherited this torch in a box of jewelry making tools and supplies. Not sure if this thing is legit. There are no holes around the copper nozzle for mixing fuel and air; only the single orifice. The flame is very soft and sooty. If I add more fuel the flame stands away from the nozzle, then quickly blows itself out. It looks like some kind of thread locker or leak compound was used to attach the nozzle, so this configuration seems to be intentional. And it’s clearly meant to be screwed onto a bottle. I only have MAPP but maybe this wants oxygen? Any idea how this torch is supposed to be used?

The straight tube and the regulator/valve look like part of a camping stove to me. It doesn’t make sense that it’s for oxygen. For starters Oxygen regulators and bottles have left-hand threads to prevent people from accidentally mixing up which bottle goes where on a torch rig. If a MAPP bottle fit on it then there’s no way an oxygen bottle would. Second, an oxygen bottle alone without fuel gas would be pointless.
I think it’s either something someone DIYed or it’s missing pieces.

I think I have to go with missing pieces. Thanks. I never thought of camping stove but that sounds right.

1 Like

what gas did you feed it? did I miss that. you said for Jewelry or with a Jewelry tool kit. I’m thinking a butane low heat torch - makeshift. for warming but not melting Silver, or etc and even soldering.

Then again could have been a work in progress.

Another thought: the “sooty” flame might have a deliberate purpose. I am not familiar with jewelry work but I know for some traditional kinds of metalwork, like gunmaking, a sooty flame is used to blacken parts in order to check their fit against other parts. The parts were held over a sooty flame to get a coating of carbon, they are then test-fitted together. The carbon transfers between the parts where the high spots are located. These are then cut or ground down, and the process is repeated over and over again. More recently machinists and mechanics use a similar process with prussian blue to fit precision parts and engine valves respectively. The “smoking” process can also be used to coat the molds for casting metals where it acts as a release agent. Perhaps this could be used for one of those purposes as part of jewellery making process? Either as an aid for casting or to smoke-fit parts? Though it seems odd to have a dedicated tool for that purpose when a jeweler could simply readjust the ratio on his standard oxy-fuel torch. The shape is also strange, I’d think having it shaped more like a bunsen burner that stands on table would make more sense if it were meant for smoke-blacking parts or small molds. The ergonomics of this thing just seem so bad that I can’t help but think there are other parts missing or it is some kind of homebrew contraption.

1 Like

oh right or get that black coating on the interior crinkles and nooks of something and polish off the face. effects like you see on class rings or the like.