What tools did you use this weekend?

Well today is the weekend for me still, I’m off today and tomorrow too! I’m heading into the shop to apply some edging and will plane it down then tomorrow I’ll be hopefully learning how to cut some dovetails. I have never done that before so pretty excited. Then back to work Wednesday :frowning:

1 Like

Last weekend was my first away from the garage/shop for some time on account of it being my wedding anniversary (got to show willing occasionally :wink:). But the previous weekend I used both cordless and corded DeWalt reciprocating saws to first cut several pallets in half to get them in my car, then to remove all the boards when I got home. That much was pretty fun, the subsequent hours with a hammer, nail punch and pliers getting all the nail heads out was not so much fun.

This weekend it will be sanding (belt and ROS) followed by ripping on the table saw to clean the edges and chopping on the mitre saw to clean the ends. In a couple of weeks I may actually have some wood I can start the project with!

1 Like

Knipex XXL pliers, 2 Rigid 18" pipe wrenches, and some random Felo Ergomoic screwdrivers.

1 Like

Once again, I was using my Bolt-On kit. Used the multi-tool, drill, driver, sander, circular saw, AND jigsaw attachments.

1 Like

All I really used on the weekend was an allen key for assembling some 80/20 aluminum extrusions.

Last night I used my favorite countersink bit.
This might seem weird, but this countersink is amazing. It’s a zero flute countersink. I’ve never had one before and came across them a while back and bought one on Amazon. Had only really used it in wood until now and it worked great but last night I used it in some 1/8" checkered plate and it worked amazing! Much better than I expected.

Cut so smooth and perfect. I just used it to debur the edges of holes I drills. In the past whenever I’ve used multi-flute countersinks they work okayish but overall not that great.

This is the one I have.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00947BR7A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I plan to get more sizes as well as the 90 degree versions.
These have a bright uncoated finish so if you use it on aluminum it should help prevent buildup.

I havent had to sharpen it yet but apparently its very easy.

2 Likes

Want to add that I have used these when i was back in Sydney and I still have my set from 20yrs and to me they are the best.I still have them with me since moving to the US and when asked I recommend to friends who ask. They work in wood and all metals that i have touched. Have yet to sharpen them at all, cut like they were new y’day.

1 Like

hmmmm… last weekend I used the following tools:

SawStop 3hp PCS. 5mm hex driver to remove fence from SawStop sliding table. Rigid shop vac. MiniMax FS30 in planer mode w/ Delta Dust Collector. Low Angle Jack, Custom Jack, and Low Angle Jointer planes. A crosscut and rip tenon saws. A router plane. Bosch 12v Drill, 12v Impact, DeWalt 20v Max XR impact. That last was a mistake, twisted the heads off two #8 screws. 12" DeWalt CMS. 3/4" Chisel and mallet.

Marking knife, wheel marking gauge, saddle square, 6" combination square, 4" double square. Tape measure. Vernier calipers. And, of course, a pencil or two. Jorgensen one handed clamps, Quick-Grip one handed clamps. Gramercy Holdfast.

All the above were used in order to make two “filler strips” for my Split Top Roubo workbench. In some cases, I started with one tool and switched to a different one because I wasn’t getting the results I wanted. As the headless screws above indicate, sometimes the switch wasn’t such a good idea.

1 Like

I’m working on my dust collection system. I’m plumbing in a 6 inch line that runs from my DC up the wall halfway across the ceiling, turns and runs all the way across my shop. I’ll cut in 4" drops with blast gates to my machines along the 6" run. For the end of the run where my miter saw is, I might leave the full 6" there and make a shroud to catch all the debris off the back.

I figured rather than waste large sections of duct I’d crimp my on ends. So I bought a duct crimper.

I found that crimping continuously all the way around, while fun, was over kill. So I only crimped about every 45 degrees.

2 Likes

I put some batteries on the charger does that count? Otherwise a rather lazy w/e.

Some screw drivers, hammers and a wonder bar. I demoed all of the fake wood paneling out of what is going to be the nursery. Luckily there is drywal behind it, so I’ll be patching holes, and mudding and taping the broken joints this week.

1 Like

I’ve been using the new Milwaukee Fuel One Key impact driver to build some half walls for the garage steps. No special modes, just driving 3" screws.

Tomorrow I need to drill into the steps for anchor bolts.

1 Like