Which power staple gun should I get?

Hi folks! I think I need a staple gun for attaching 1/8" masonite to the backs of bookcases, or building furniture out of cedar pickets. But it turns out there are several types of staplers (wiring, fencing, etc.) and lots of different staple sizes and styles. I’m guessing I need a 1/4" 18-gauge crown stapler, not T50. Am I right? Also, anybody have any suggestions for a particular model? Either air or cordless.

Thanks!

You are correct. T-50 will bend. I’ve had good luck with Craftsman. They aren’t for industrial use but, for home/diy use they’re good.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m a little surprised at the lack of response. Either not many people know about power staplers, or people are not paying attention to the forum. Maybe Stuart’s announcement that he’s shutting it down is playing a role there.

I saw your question right away, the problem is this is out of my wheelhouse. I completely agree a T50 style is inadequate. An 18ga crown stapler makes sense to me, but I have very little experience with them so I don’t feel comfortable making recommendations.
You definitely do not want a fencing or cable stapler–those are specifically designed to shoot rounded staples to hold wire and do not drive them hard against a surface like you want for building furniture–but it looks like you already knew that!

1 Like

I have a crown stapler (18 gauge) that I bought from a neighbor. It’s an older Porter Cable pneumatic. It works great. I think this would work for your application. I typically use my 18 gauge brad nailer for attaching masonite, but think this would work well.

1 Like

Thanks! I tried my brad nailer, but the heads shoot right through the masonite.

Sorry, it took some searching of the memory banks, as this was a few years ago. I tuned my nailer and set the depth. That was about four years ago when I didn’t want to spring for a new tool. Would probably just by the stapler today, LOL.

1 Like

Makes sense. Yeah, my brad nailer is a hand-me-down, and it doesn’t have a depth adjustment. And even if it did, I don’t know if I’d trust those teeny heads to hold the masonite very well.

I forgot to say thanks, MM. At least half of knowing things is knowing when you DON’T know things.